Grease catches fire in University Court and is put out by the Sprinkler system

Cassie Buchman, Administration Editor

A grease fire was reported at 7:02 p.m. Sunday in the Cooper Building of University Court Apartments.

Assistant Fire Chief Steven Bennett of the Charleston Fire Department said the residents in apartment 23 were cooking when the grease got too hot and started to catch fire.

“The sprinklers had activated and put the fire out, so the sprinkler system did what it was supposed to do,” Bennett said.

There was minimal fire damage and little water damage in other apartments.

“The sprinkler was activated so it was putting the water out on the fire, so some of that water finds cracks and goes down into the apartment(s) below,” Bennett said

“Right now the fire alarm is now activated until the electrician can come and reset it,” Bennett said. “Because it activated when the sprinkler went off and right now the sprinkler system’s down until the plumber can change out the sprinkler head that activated.”

Read More

Cooking Fire Extinguished by Sprinkler System

ELKO — A cooking fire early Monday morning at the Villas at Riverside showed the importance of having a fire sprinkler system, according to the City of Elko fire department.

Deputy Chief Brian Burgess said the resident had fallen asleep while waiting for food to be prepared. The fire caused the sprinkler system to activate.

There was minor damage to the microwave, stove and upper cabinets, said Burgess.

He said residents were evacuated for only an hour and the affected apartment was able to be occupied afterwards. It also had mild water damage.

“Had this building been an unprotected building, the fire would have likely caused severe damage to the building, displacing all of the residents (and) threatening the lives of the occupants,” said Fire Marshal Joshua Carson, explaining the value and importance of the system.

Even though there was mild fire and water damage, it was far less than what would have been seen in a building without that system, he said.

Read More

Minor fire reported at National Gypsum Company

Oxford Fire Department responded to a minor fire Tuesday at the National Gypsum Company on U.S. 78.

A call first came in about a fire in the plant’s paper bale room around 11:15 a.m. from an employee at the plant, Oxford fire Chief Gary Sparks said in a phone interview Tuesday. Firefighters were on scene within three minutes of the call, extinguished the fire and left the scene by 12:40, Sparks said.

It is unclear how the fire started but the sprinkler system held the flames in check until responders arrived on the scene, Sparks said. Read More

Experts Warn Parents Of Risk Of College Fire Deaths

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — As students head off to college, here’s one more thing for parents to worry about: fires.

Four out of five college-related fire deaths happen off-campus, where most students live.

So how do you keep your child safe if they’re living off campus? Experts say there are some things to look for before your student moves in.

In the last 15 years, 170 college students have died in fires and most of those deaths have been in off-campus housing. The state Fire Marshal’s Office recommends that students and parents make sure any off campus housing has what they call “proper fire protection” before a student moves in or even signs a lease.

Here’s what they recommend.
• Working smoke alarms, preferably in each bedroom and that they are interconnected so all will sound if any of them detects smoke.
• At least two ways to get out of the bedroom and the building.
• At least two interior stairways or a fire escape on the upper floors on the building.
• A working sprinkler system.
• Enough electrical outlets for all appliances and equipment so extension cords aren’t necessary.
• “EXIT” signs in the hallways that lead to escape routes in case of a fire.
• A working fire alarm system in the building.
• A recent inspection of the building’s heating system.
• The building address clearly posted so emergency vehicles can find it quickly in an emergency.
• The sprinkler or fire alarm system set up to send a signal to the nearest fire department or campus security.

Read More / Watch the Video

#HeadlinesWeLove Sprinklers help extinguish small fire in downtown Boise building #Fastestwater works!

Boise Fire says a small fire that broke out at the Charles Schwab building has been ruled accidental.

Firefighters tell KBOI 2News they were called to the building, near 9th and Main Streets, just after 6:30 p.m. on Sunday.

While they found smoke inside, crews say the building’s sprinkler system activated and extinguished the fire. A Boise Fire spokeswoman says Read More

President Obama honors 87 firefighters who died in the line of duty

On behalf of the American public, President Barack Obama expressed deepest sympathies to the survivors of 87 fallen firefighters during the 34th annual National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service on Sunday, October 4.

The President spoke of bravery and courage that is instinctive among all firefighters, who are willing to walk through fire to save a stranger’s life. “Those we honor today lived a fundamental principle that binds us as Americans: I am my brother’s keeper and I am my sister’s keeper. That we look out for one another,” he said.

» Read the full article on www.firehero.org

Officials working to educate public on fire safety

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) – Tennessee fire officials are working to educate the public on how to stay safe during Fire Prevention Week.

Tennessee has one of the highest death rates from fires in the country. Firefighters are hoping the kids attending Friday’s event at Bicentennial Mall and the public walk away with a plan. Read more:

A brief video from today's side-by-side burn demonstration in Downtown Nashville showing dangers of fire & the potentially life-saving ability of fire sprinklers.

Posted by Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance on Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Side-by-side burn demonstration in Downtown Nashville


Common Voices & SMFRA Donna Henson and Justina Page Fire Sprinklers Save Lives